Braces care-Tips and tricks
I JUST STARTED MY BRACES JOURNEY, NOW WHAT?
Congratulations, you have made the big decision to straighten your teeth and get the smile you deserve! This decision can be one of the most rewarding things you do. The following information will help make your orthodontic treatment as easy as possible while keeping your teeth and gums healthy and clean.
Our goal is to give you the best smile possible and in order to accomplish this we will need your help!
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE CARE OF FIXED BRACES:
Your mouth may feel uncomfortable and will take a few days to get used to it.
Most patients find that after a few days/weeks their mouth will toughen up and get used to
- A mild painkiller such as Ibuprofen or paracetamol and soft diet may help ease discomfort.
- After every appointment some discomfort for 23-48 hours is expected as your wires will be tightened.
- You may apply ice or drink cold water to have some immediate relief from the pain.
- Avoid any hard and sticky food for the entire treatment duration.
- If eating foods such as apples ensure they are chopped into small pieces and placed on the biting surfaces of the back teeth to chew on to avoid any breakages of the front of the brace.
- We do recommend that you avoid foods that contain excess amounts of sugar such as fizzy drinks and sweets.
- Avoid sticky foods such as chewing gum, lolly pops, toffees, caramel, etc . These must be avoided as they can damage the teeth and the brace.
- Brushing after every meal is highly recommended in braces patients, but at least try to brush twice a day with proper brushing technique.
- Use inter-proximal brush to clear surfaces that are difficult to reach with regular brush.
- Follow other instructions given by Dr.Anagha regarding anti-cavity cream application and gum care.
- Proper brushing technique explained in diagrams below-
-Sometimes your bracket may come off the tooth if you eat something hard and sticky.
- At such times, contact the dental clinic for an appointment at the earliest for repair.
- Do not try to manipulate the wire and bracket.
- If an end of the wire is sticking out and poking you, put sticky wax at the poking end and and call for an appointment at the earliest.
- Refer below for pictures of broken bracket.
-Keeping up with your monthly appointments is a must if you wish to finish your treatment as soon as possible and get the smile you always wanted.